First meeting: 21 October, 2016
Please note that if you do not come to the first meeting, you run the risk of losing your place.
Even though primary English has become an integral part of the curriculum at German primary schools, it is still subject to ongoing discussions and change. The role of literacy in early foreign language learning has been the focus of various studies in recent times and is still discussed controversially. It is beyond dispute that the development of oral skills is the focus of primary EFL teaching, however, a systematic literacy approach supports young learners with their foreign language learning.
In this course we will take a look at theories and models of reading and writing in the context of second and foreign language learning. On this basis we will discuss possible challenges for young EFL learners and explore literacy approaches by taking into account linguistic, teaching and pedagogical perspectives. Following this, course participants will develop teaching materials and tools for promoting and assessing the reading and writing skills of beginning EFL learners.
- Cameron, Lynne (2001). Teaching Languages to Young Learners. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Cook, Vivian (2004): The English Writing System. London: Routledge.
- Diehr, Bärbel/Rymarczyk (eds.) (2010): Researching Literacy in a Foreign Language among Primary School Frankfurt: Peter Lang.
- Frisch, Stefanie (2013): Lesen im Englischunterricht der Grundschule. Eine Vergleichsstudie zur Wirksamkeit zweier Lehrverfahren. Tübingen: Narr.
- Grabe, William (2009): Reading in a Second Language.
Moving from Theory to Practice. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Ministerium für Schule und Weiterbildung des Landes Nordrhein-Westfalen (ed.) (2008). Richtlinien und Lehrpläne für die Grundschule in Nordrhein-Westfalen. Frechen: Ritterbach.
Further texts will be made available throughout the semester.
Please register via WUSEL between 22.08.2016 to 04.09.2016.
Registrations before or after this time will not be considered.
Students should have attended the "Introduction to Teaching English as a Foreign Language" and Grundlagenseminar Fachdidaktik (Teil A).
Regular and active participation in class, individual (reading) tasks and a final paper/assignment (We will discuss the details in the first session.).
Kombi BA: D
Kombi-BA Optionalbereich (Profil Bildungswissenschaften ANG 102 Teil A, ehemals Kompetenzfeld V)
MEd 07: EN II a-d (GHR als Seminar)
MEd 14: M-ENG 3a, 6a